Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Simply Delicious


If you ask my husband what he wants for dinner, without hesitation he says,"Mexican." If you ask him where he wants to go out for dinner, he also says, "Mexican." I honestly don't even ask him anymore or if I do I have to ask like this, "Honey (deep breath), what-should-I-make-for-dinner-don't-say-Mexican?" Phew.

I too love Mexican food but seeing as live far far away from Mexico, there aren't a lot of places around here to satisfy the craving. Randy thinks bad Mexican is still good. I think bad Mexican is greasy and fattening. So I would rather make it myself.


Two things make a Mexican meal complete for me. Beans of some kind and lots of guacamole. For my clients last night I made Mushroom and Pinto Bean Enchiladas, Mexican Rice with Peppers and Tomatoes, and Salad with a Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette. I included a container of my guacamole which has gotten raves from them before and from others too. It is one of the only things I make completely without a recipe and totally to taste (hummus is another one.) I thought I would write a post about it so I paid attention to the proportions of what I added. Sometimes simple is best.


Guacamole

Serves 6 generously


I like my guacamole very limey and salty. You can always add less lime juice and salt and see how it tastes to you. If there is not too much going on in the meal, or if I am not serving salsa, I will dice up two seeded roma tomatoes and add it to the mix.


2 large ripe avocados, diced

1 1/2 large limes, cut in half

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. pepper

2 tbsp. cilantro, or more to taste


Place the avocados in a large bowl. Juice the limes into the same bowl and add the salt and pepper. Using a potato masher, mash up the avocados and incorporate the juice. You will want to leave some texture. Add the cilantro and mix carefully with a spoon.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a perfect guacamole recipe to me, though I always add diced tomato, since we eat tomatoes like apples in our family. If you have any leftovers, I'll be by in 10 minutes with a 6 pack of Carona (Light, of course) and limes!

Unknown said...

Oops, I am reading Dana Treat from Jeff's computer...this is Deb. Although, Jeff likes gucac too. :)

veggie belly said...

I'm not a fan of guacamole. But if its limey and salty and has lots of cilantro, I'd consider it! I love how you rested the spoon on top of the cup in the photo :)

Chris said...

Fresh guacamole is, like you said, one of those incredibly simple yet oh-so satisfying spreads/dips that everyone should learn how to make. You have inspired my Whole Foods run tomorrow :)

redmenace said...

I love guacamole. Thank you! You're making me hungry and I've got hours to go!

Linda said...

What a beautiful photo. I love simply made guacamole, and your recipe looks perfect.

Anonymous said...

This is a great simple recipe. I recently went to San Antonio where they have this restaurant that makes the best guac! You can see my blog about it and the recipe here: http://chewonthatblog.com/2009/01/28/dining-on-the-riverwalk/

Anonymous said...

I just made guacamole for the first time last week. My recipe was similar to yours. The first time I tried to make it, I didn't realize that the avacados had to be soft, so I just picked up 2 random avacados, all excited to make the guacamole, only to realize they were totally not ripe, NOW I know! It did turn out so good, I never knew it was that easy!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Senor Moose in Ballard? Yummy Mexican!

Anonymous said...

The perfect guacamole recipe! This is almost exactly how I make it. So much better than the ones that add a bunch of unnecessary filler. Also like the extra citrus. Sometimes I'll had some salted onions or jalepeno.

merathon said...

this is exactly how i make my guac as well-- yummy! could you post your mushroom and pinto bean enchiladas recipe? it sounds great!

Dana Treat said...

Thanks everyone for your comments - I have really enjoyed reading them. I hope you all have made some yummy guac this weekend!

Merathon - I will make the enchiladas again this week because my Mexican food loving husband didn't get any last week. I will post the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I made your guacamole recipe last weekend. Ian, Brooke and I finished it off in one sitting. I love your blog.