Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Homemade Peanut Brittle


(Is it just me, or does this piece of brittle look like a reversed Minnesota?)

When I made the
Peanut Brittle Caramel Crunch Ice Cream Pie the other night, I opted to make my own peanut brittle. This was partly because I feel compelled to do such things, partly because I wanted to have some left over, and partly because this recipe is so incredibly easy.

It may not be traditional, but it is fast and the results are incredible. I have no idea where I got this recipe - all I know is that I copied it out of one of my mom's recipe books after eating it at her house. All you need is a bowl, a spoon, a baking sheet, and a microwave. Oh, and an oven mitt. You'll definitely want one of those.


Peanut Brittle

Makes about 1 pound


1 1/2 cups unsalted dry roasted peanuts

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

pinch of salt

1 tbsp. butter

1 tsp. vanilla

1 1/4 tsp. baking soda, measured into a small bowl


Butter or spray baking sheet. In microwave-proof bowl, combine peanuts, sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Microwave on high until mixture bubbles vigorously, about 6 minutes. Using and oven mitt, remove mixture and stir in vanilla and butter. Return to microwave for another 2 minutes. Again using oven mitt, remove bowl from microwave. Working quickly, add baking soda to candy and stir briskly - mixture will foam. Immediately pour onto prepared sheet and spread as thinly as possible with the back of the mixing spoon or a spatula. Let stand until cool, 30-45 minutes. Break into pieces.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could be reversed Minnesota, or a sideways cow. Either way, looks delicious!

Chris said...

I definitely need to buy myself a Silpat because they always look so magical on the Food Network :P And I never knew it was so easy! Now I know how to use up all those peanuts my Dad refuses to eat haha!

redmenace said...

I've never made peanut brittle before. This looks like a good one! However, I may have to wait until after my visit to the dentist this month....

Pam said...

Mmmm. I could eat a whole bowl of this - it's one of my favorite treats. Great post.

Anonymous said...

We made your peanut brittle. It's a great recipe!

jess said...

My mother loves sunflower seed brittle. I thought of using your recipe. Anyone have an idea of the serving for the sunflower seeds?