Monday, October 27, 2008

Vancouver Weekend

When I was pregnant with my older son, Randy and I decided to take a Lamaze class to prepare us for childbirth. Because his work schedule was even more crazy then than it is now, we opted to do a weekend away instead of a class meeting once a week. As luck would have it, 11 other really cool couples made this same decision and we had a truly wonderful weekend meeting new friends and getting scared about our impending births.

As we all had our babies within two months of each other, we formed a support group. We would get together once a week and cry and laugh and nurse our newborns. If I hadn't had this group of women, I'm not sure how I would have survived my son's first year. Of the twelve couples, six have moved away and the rest of us don't get together as often as we would like. We have all had second children now and our lives are crazier than ever. I have been trying to get away with my friends Joy and Lauren for the better part of a year now and this past weekend, we skipped town and went to Vancouver, B.C.


If you have never been to Vancouver, it is truly one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I think Seattle is beautiful, but when I go there, I am truly blown away. Like Seattle, there is water everywhere, but there the mountain practically sit on top of the city. There are terrific neighborhoods, great shopping, a very vibrant restaurant scene, and everyone is nice. I won't go into exhaustive details about our weekend but I will say the following...


I DID:

- sleep in a great bed in a nice hotel

- have wine with lunch

- shop for and buy a little black dress

- have INCREDIBLE Indian food at
ViJ's Restaurant
- have incredible ravioli at
Parkside Restaurant (the menu was specializing in game meats)
- have uninterrupted adult conversation

- enjoy time with two good friends

- miss my boys


I DID NOT:

- drive

- do dishes

- go grocery shopping

- change a diaper

- check email

- cook

- think much about cooking


All in all, a great weekend!

1 comment:

Emily Rose said...

sounds wonderful! I'm jealous!