Monday, September 22, 2008

You Say Frittata

I have these on-going lists rattling around in my head. Top 10 Kitchen Tools I Can't Live Without. Top 10 Kitchen Tasks I Hate. 10 Cookbooks I Would Take to a Desert Island. Top 5 Things I Am Afraid to Do (in the kitchen.) On that last list, I would have to rate turning out a frittata pretty high. A frittata is kind of a crust-less quiche and it is made mostly on the stovetop with just a few minutes under a broiler to finish it off. If you are not afraid to do it, you then run a spatula around the edges and slip it out onto a plate to be cut into perfect looking wedges for your guests to ooh and aah over.

Now here is a big problem: I don't have a non-stick pan. After reading things like
this, I threw away my one non-stick frying pan. I'm sure it is possible to get a frittata out of a regular pan - Italians have been doing it for years, right? But taking the time to make something only to have it fall completely to pieces is not my idea of a good day. So here is my solution: just serve it directly from the pan. I just take a big spoon and scoop out a pretty little piece and no one knows (or cares) that it isn't supposed to be served that way.

(For another favorite frittata recipe, check
here. For some thoughts on sun-dried tomatoes, check here.)

Frittata with Cheese, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, and Basil

Adapted from
Bon Appetit Magazine
Serves 4-6


The original recipe called for much more butter in the pan and much more feta cheese. I find the butter is not necessary (it sticks anyway) and too much feta overwhelms the other flavors, but add as much as you like.


10 large eggs

1/4
cup whipping cream
3/4
cups crumbled feta cheese (about 3 oz.)
10 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped

4 green onions, thinly sliced

1/3
cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
1/2
tsp. salt
Black pepper

2 tbsp. butter

1/3
cup pitted Kalamata olives, thinly sliced
3 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese


Preheat broiler. Whisk eggs and cream in a large bowl to blend. Stir in feta cheese, tomatoes, onions, basil, salt and grind in some pepper. Melt butter in large oven proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add egg mixture; do not stir. Cook until eggs start to firm and sides and bottom begin to brown, lifting sides occasionally to let uncooked egg run underneath, about 5 minutes.


Sprinkle with olives and Parmesan cheese. Transfer skillet to broiler and cook until eggs start to puff and brown, about 2 minutes. Serve directly from pan either warm or room temperature.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello:) Came to your blog from tastespotting. I love frittatas, so was immediately attracted to the picture. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing. I am printing it already. You have a nice blog! Keep up the good work!